[sf-lug] recommendations on file system

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 15 15:40:29 PDT 2007

Quoting Sameer Verma (sverma at sfsu.edu):

> Does anyone have suggestions for a filesystem that's writeable from XP
> and Linux and supports large (4GB+) files so that I can use this
> partition from both OSes?

Ext2 IFS for Windows
http://www.fs-driver.org/

Notable points:

o  4 GB+ files are supported.  Accessing one for the first time sets a
   flag bit so that ridiculously ancient sub-2.2 kernels know not to
   mount the filesystem read/write, thereafter.
o  Access rights are not maintained.
o  Dotfiles are given no special presentation within MS-Windows.
o  Access is denied to "special" files (which fortunately doesn't matter).
o  ext3 volumes are fully readable, but without journaling functions.
o  Licence appears to be gratis-usage proprietary "freeware" [sic],
   i.e., lawful for any usage or redistribution, but with no right to
   modify; driver source code is unavailable.  Binary i386 binary
   software.

--
Cheers,           "I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate
Rick Moen         those who do.  And, for the people who like country music,