[sf-lug] Cisco's iPhone

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Feb 8 15:44:43 PST 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Sameer Verma (sverma at sfsu.edu):
>

>> In a complementary vein is the Neo1973/OpenMoko. It is network unlocked
>> at $350 (ships in March per this announcement
>> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/001586.html)
>> and except for the GSM and GPS bits, all other software ("the stack") is
>> going to be open source.
>>

> Looking forward to it.  Meanwhile, You might enjoy this post about the
> _other_ iPhone:

I met Rick (in person for the first time) at SVLUG last night, so this
thread is a bit revived.

The OpenMoko project is gathering some steam. There is also an effort by
the GPE folks to do a phone edition. If you can play a VMWare image,
here's an image for the Phone Edition.

http://projects.linuxtogo.org/projects/gpephone

Another project, called xoo [http://projects.o-hand.com/xoo] allows you
to look at other environments using xnest (I think...) and someone has a
xoo environment for the OpenMoko phone.

http://www.datenfreihafen.org/~stefan/weblog//archives/2007/01/#e2007-01-21T19_51_01.txt

cheers,
Sameer