[sf-lug] Cisco's iPhone

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 23 16:23:49 PST 2007

Quoting Sameer Verma (sverma at sfsu.edu):

> In a complementary vein is the Neo1973/OpenMoko. It is network unlocked
> at $350 (ships in March per this announcement
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2007-January/001586.html)
> and except for the GSM and GPS bits, all other software ("the stack") is
> going to be open source.

Looking forward to it.  Meanwhile, You might enjoy this post about the
_other_ iPhone:

 From rick Tue Jan 23 16:21:13 2007
 Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:21:13 -0800
 To: Dire Red <deirdre at deirdre.net>, Cheryl Morris <camorris at mars.ark.com>,
         Karsten Self <karsten>
 Subject: Desperately seeking an Apple iPhone because...

1.  Its pervasive DRMing will prevent me from stupidly deciding to put
on it any code that Apple, Inc. doesn't specifically allow me to, ever.
Jobs in NY Times explains everything:  "These are devices that need to
work, and you can't do that if you load any software on them."  Yes,
Uncle Steve!  I believe!  I believe!  And Dan Gillmor is the Antichrist:
http://sf.backfence.com/news/showPost.cfm?myComm=PA&bid=4219

2.  Other parts of the DRM will lock me into the benevolent GSM cartel
indefinitely, even after my contract expires.  Whee!

3.  Non-replaceable batteries rock.

4.  Proprietary USB connectors are super-cool.

5.  I love being locked into an expensive mandatory 2-year contract
(not including data service) with an inadequate and oversubscribed GSM
cartel.

6.  I have nothing better to do with that $500-600 initial dollop of
cash, anyway, and the pain will help toughen me up for
AT&T^WCingular^WAT&T's invoices, later.