[sf-lug] yellow dog linux on sony playstation 3

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 2 12:29:42 PST 2006

--- jim stockford <jim at well.com> wrote:

> ... I'm assuming (which scares me) this is a
relative of IBM's cell CPU.

Why does that scare you? It is a distant relative of
CBE. The Cell
is completely different. It is interesting, that now
all the major game
consoles are using CPUs from IBM. This was planned and
was in the
works for at least the past three years. Sony owns a
bit over half of
all the movies ever made in Hollywood. They plan to
use PS3 as a
hub for digital entertainment, and offer people movie
downloads.
The Apple-Disney deal was smart, but Disney doens't
have anything
near Sony's content library.

>     I'm a vi kind of guy, love flat files, don't
> know about
> games.... linux on the cell CPU family strikes me as
> an interesting future direction.

You'll be able to do all the command line stuff you do
with any other Unix/Linux version. That was the whole
point of using 'C' to develop
Unix/Linux, easy portability, with "commodity
hardware" the
desired result.

Cheers,

Adrien