[sf-lug] Notes and News re our last meeting -- Colo'ing our box

Keith Keller kkeller at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 7 16:33:52 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 01:43:59PM -0800, jim stockford wrote:

> Part 2: getting ourselves ready for the colo facility
>
>     We need up to three people who are willing to go
> to Spear Street in the event our box needs physical
> help (a new drive or something).
>     We need any number of people willing to administer
> the box remotely: check that filesystems aren't fully or
> nearly so, make sure no bad guys have co-opted the
> box, etc.

I'm not unwilling to volunteer some time, but I do have a toddler and a
newborn on the way, so my time constraints are very unpredictable over
the next few weeks/months.  :)  Remote should not be too hard; on-site
wouldn't be too bad, but it probably wouldn't be a fast response.

I'd rate my admin ski11z as intermediate in most areas except nontrivial
hardware, where I'm at best beginner.  (Replacing a drive, easy;
replacing a power supply, uh, not so.)

Has there been talk about auditing for the people who do end up with
root-equivalent access?  i.e., will people be forced to use sudo, so
that commands are logged?  or will sudo su be disallowed?  I don't have
a particular preference, but in a situation where you have multiple
people at scattered sites who might have root-equivalent you also want
some protection against admins stomping each other's work.  :)

I don't necessarily want to be setting de facto admin policy; I just
want to get it on the radar for those who would end up volunteering.
Obviously the people providing the dollars have final say!

>     Possibilities include adding a wiki, integrating Plone
> or Zope or some such....

I'm with Rick on Plone.  ;-)

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net