[sf-lug] fedora yum update

jim stockford jim at well.com
Wed Aug 23 20:24:49 PDT 2006

    I gave away some Fedora Core 5 DVDs at the
last meeting (I still have a few--want one?).

    I got around to updating my Fedora Core install
on my T-42 laptop:

# yum -y upgrade
# # note the root prompt in the command above

    After installing (I install everything), connect the
system to the internet and run the yum command
(the -y automatically answers "yes" to individual
prompts--very important) then go get a long lunch
or build a house or something: some 364 packages
later, over three hours of downloading on a
corporate network, my Fedora Core 5 machine
was up to date, at least for this week.

    Then I went and got skencil and TuxPaint--the
point being there's a lot yet to get after upgrade.

    Tho't some of you'd like to know.