[sf-lug] (Tech) Developers responsibility...Saga continues

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sat Jun 24 21:06:33 PDT 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 8:55 PM, Sarah Mei wrote:

> Customer: acceptance testing, also called integration testing.  This
> is where the customer makes sure the application does everything s/he
> wants it to.  It helps to have a list of what it's supposed to do,
> hopefully in the contract.  Sign off generally happens after the
> customer finishes this testing.
>
> It sounds like what happened is the website owner hadn't done many
> software projects before, and then got himself a bad php programmer
> who didn't test sufficiently.  Because the owner didn't know that he
> needed to do acceptance testing, the bad programming made it through
> to sign-off.

In my experience, most developers don't do ANY unit or functional
testing. That's starting to change, slowly. It's not generally taught
in schools, alas.

I went to an interview for a rails job, which is a framework with
better-than-average testing integration. None of the other developers
were doing test-driven development or even development with tests
after the fact.

Quite amazing.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net