[sf-lug] wifi for CentOS thinkpad

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 22 13:43:26 PDT 2006

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

> i bought a Thinkpad T42 and put CentOS on it.
> I had tried it with Ubuntu 5.10 and the wifi worked.
> The wifi doesn't work with CentOS installed. If I
> "live-CD" Ubuntu again, where do I look for what
> so's to identify the wifi driver? Once that's done,
> how to add the proper driver to the CentOS
> system?

I note with approval John Lowry's separate post.

Here's details on the Intel Corp. PRO/Wireless 2200BG miniPC card
problem you've just signed up for.  ;->

http://furius.ca/techdoc/misc/thinkpad.html#wireless-networking
http://statgen.ncsu.edu/~jdstarme/fc4_xp_on_t42.txt
http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2-ipw2200.shtml

http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ (open-source drivers and firmware image)

You might indeed need to resort to MADWifi (open source wrapper around
the usual brittle binary-only proprietary crap):
http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/

You're similarly screwed on the (alleged) modem.  You can either pay for
proprietary crap from Linuxant, or do this:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/ubuntubreezythinkpadt42.html#slmodemnote