[sf-lug] Ubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake" has been released

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Jun 8 13:52:00 PDT 2006

vincent polite wrote:
> Confering with natives Sameer...What was her (or his) name? 8}

Ha! Natives hardly. Kingston has an active Linux community. JaLUG is the
Jamaica Linux Users Group (http://www.jalug.org/). When I was presenting
my research topic on open source licensing (using OOo2 on Dapper Drake)
there were many from JaLUG there. There was even a high school grad who
had Dapper on his Dell in the audience. I was very impressed.

On one account, one of the guys pointed out that in his company, they
pay close to 60% of their IT budget in licensing and maintenance. That's
a big chunk for Jamaica ($1US=$65Jm), and I am sure they can put the 60%
to better use. They are really cornered.

Sameer