[sf-lug] Possibly interesting data point on jobs postings

jim stockford jim at well.com
Tue May 16 06:34:48 PDT 2006

thank you, sarah, for your chime.

it is not my list, it's our list. i'm not the leader.
when i get email addressed to the leader, i
dutifully forward it to you guys. i sometimes
suspect that sf-lug has no leader (gasp!).

i like wiiiide open. i credit those with more
experience (time put in) and the way they've
developed their attitudes, something to think
about--maybe we'll so develop too.

so far i see no clear clamor one way or the
other.

On May 15, 2006, at 9:56 PM, Sarah Mei wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I do not recall ever setting anyone's flag to nomail--
>> not one time, certainly not four.
>>
>> as to the recruiter, I think a better metaphor than hawking
>> weiners during the show is that of the "getcher IT jobs
>> here!" commercial interleaved with the kiddy cartoons.
>> For me the occasional job posting is part of the
>> entertainment. That's my view.
>>
>> At the javacat tonight was another view more sympathetic
>> to Rick's: people who post job possibilities to lugs are
>> bottom feeders or worse: looking for IT advice without
>> paying for it.
>>
>> As to the list itself, I count one vitriolically opposed and
>> another on the fence leaning agin' it, with one (me) for it
>> (job postings).
>>
>> Anybody else wants to chime in, please do.
>>

>> On 5/15/06, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>>> Just as a reminder, I'm just the system janitor (and owner) of the
>>> decrepit 1998 VA Research model 500 that hosts this mailing list,
>>> whereas Jim runs the mailing list itself.  Nonetheless, I sometimes
>>> look
>>> in and give an assist on the technical side (because I like you
>>> guys).
>>> Among other things, sometimes I use the systemwide Mailman admin
>>> password to look through mailing lists' membership rosters, to spot
>>> anything amiss.  I was doing that, this morning, with SF-LUG's
>>> roster:
>>> As is sometimes the case, there were several subscribers showing as
>>> having the "nomail" flag set, and with that flag having been set by
>>> an
>>> administrator rather than the user himself/herself.  (The "nomail"
>>> flag
>>> means "I still want to be a subscriber, but don't send me any of the
>>> postings for now.")
>>>
>>> Usually, this happens because someone noticed recurring non-delivery
>>> messages for that subscriber -- e.g., his/her mail server was down,
>>> or
>>> was out of disk space, etc.  Those non-deliverability conditions can
>>> be
>>> transitory, or they can be permanent:  One way to find out is to
>>> switch
>>> off the flag, and see if the non-deliverability persists.  I tried
>>> this,
>>> and found that all four of those subscribed addresses appeared to
>>> _still_ be non-deliverable for various reason, e.g., "That username
>>> does
>>> not exist at this server" [paraphrased].  So, I unsubscribed them.
>>>

>>> In the process of doing that, I found one extra anomaly:
>>> "beau at open-source-staffing.com", whom you may recall being the
>>> extremely
>>> polite and clueful recruiter Beau J. Gould of NYC, is the _one and
>>> only_
>>> subscriber who's set his _own_ subscription to "nomail".
>>>
>>> By no means do I wish in any way to beat up on Mr. Gould:  If all
>>> recruiters were as smart and well-mannered, mailing list
>>> for LUGs would be much more of a delight, and there would be less
>>> need