[sf-lug] last night's Drive of the Penguins

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Apr 12 14:15:21 PDT 2006

Rick Moen wrote:

>The main way I've always learned about Linux was doing and saying dumb
>things and learning from them -- including destroying my entire system
>with one badly chosen root-user command.
you mean like read mail - real fast (rm -rf) ;-)

>If you're so afraid of being
>wrong, or of looking ignorant or foolish as to be timid about it, you're
>actually _much_ more likely to be and remain that way.
>Go forth and blunder.
Indeed. Its not like you have limited chances of reinstalling the OS,
before you have to call this *dreaded company* and get approval, because
you re-installed a little too many times for *their* liking and comfort.

>>jim is my hero.
>He da' MAN.
Thanks to all those who showed up and got the ball rolling. I apologize
for not being there. As much as I wanted to be there, I got stuck in
traffic on 101 and given the rain and hellish traffic, its a miracle I
made it back in one piece...saw more than my fair share of accidents and
near misses.

Anyway, will plan on being there next time.

Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor of Information Systems
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132 USA