[sf-lug] [new-sfwow] (jobs) This is interesting....

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Apr 12 12:42:00 PDT 2006

On Apr 12, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Thomas DiZoglio wrote:

> Today you need to know C++ and Java as a Software Engineer.

You do?

I mean, I know both, but I haven't used either professionally in
years (C++, 2000; Java, 2004).

Since using C++, I've been called upon to program in: C, tcl, Python,
PHP, Ruby (and, of course, Java).

>  As for Windows/Linux coding, knowing both is important

No, it's not.

I've been a software engineer for 30 years and I've never done any
Windows coding. I've also never owned a Windows machine.

Sure, that eliminates some jobs, but they're not the ones I'd choose
anyway.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net