[sf-lug] Linux Kitchen?

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 09:22:10 PST 2006

Hi David,

Someone who tried to do that told me the schools only want newer hardware, even if it is free. His offers of older hardware were declined. Perhaps the administrators think that any hardware in the classrooms will prevent funding for new hardware, so they are better off not having anything until they can get funded.

- Adrien

David Reber <morpheus2485 at gmail.com> wrote: For several months now I've been kicking around the following idea in my head without ever getting the guts to go ahead with it:

 We all know that there's tons of computers being thrown in the garbage every day.  They're not the latest and greatest affairs, but they'll still do everything they did the day they were sold for $1000 or more. (In fact, they'll do more with your favorite distribution of linux installed).

 Also, there is, I assume, a fair number of lower income kids and teens  who would be more than happy to get their hands on a functional older moddle computer.

 So my idea is to bring the two togeather:  have a space, and one or more linux veterans to man the place at least one day a week.  The final ingreediants are the donated computers (which i'm not particularly worried about), invite the locals, and "wasta": linux learning goodness.  I envision it as being a place where people can learn about linux and get help with whatever project/problem they're experiencing.  Sort of a slightly expanded install fest.

 The biggest problem that this project has in terms of getting off the ground is space and leadership.  I can provide a good amount of leadership, but I have nill resources in terms of space.

 can you help?
 ~david