[dvlug] Need for Technical Assistance - Error problem ? connecting MYSQL to HTTP

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jan 3 11:56:54 PST 2010

Quoting harry strout <harry-strout at comcast.net>

> I have verified that the database is up and functional.

I believe you, but perhaps you wouldn't mind posting the results of
doing

$ mysql -u root -p
mysql> use mysql;
mysql> show tables;

...so that the results can be seen by the rest of us.

> I just think that it's in one of my configuration files.

Certainly could be.  What I was recommending was that you check out the
stack of software, starting with MySQL itself and working upwards.  I'm
sure there are other diagnostic paths, but that was the one that came to
mind.

Here's a different (second) diagnostic path that you might find really
useful:  Drop the "Adminer" (http://www.adminer.org/en/) PHP script into
your Web server's document root somewhere, and open a Web browser to the
resulting URL.  If you're able to use Adminer to examine the contents of
your MySQL database, then in a single step you've validated that Apache
httpd, PHP, the PHP MySQL libs, and MySQL itself are all communicating,
which would be tremendous progress in diagnosing your problem, because
that would isolate the problem to the add-on PHP application you're
trying to use.

> I have apache, php, openssl, and mysql up and running when I try to
> run a setup from a third party software product called aMemeber.

Do you mean aMember Pro v. 3.1.8?

(If the name of this thing is important, then you should please be
careful about typos, and please try to be specific.  What I like to say
is that, in a diagnostic situation, it's helpful to assume people are
from Missouri, where "Show me" is the state motto.)

> That's where I ran into the problem and error.

You have not specified _what issued that error_.  Was this in a logfile?
Something displayed in a Web page furnished by aMember Pro v. 3.1.8?
Please be specific, as that helps other people help you.

> I tweaked http.conf and my.conf (in /etc)  files and have not
> succeeded.

You don't say what specifically you did.  You also don't say why you
were trying to adjust those files.  In particular, if "the database is
up and functional", you shouldn't have needed to introduce changes to
/etc/mysql/my.conf , right?

It tends to be really important in a diagnostic situation to restrain
one's self from introducing yet more variables into the situation.  I
know it's tempting, and there's always the desire to just fool with
things until everything works, but that's almost always the wrong
approach.

> I even changed the computer (test machine) to what the vendor's
> registered Name was for me and that did not work either.

I don't understand this sentence, at all.

> It has to be in one of the configuration files. But, which one?
>
> What about incompatibility issues in the LAMP software itself?

If you're not sure the LAMP stack is working, then that's the _first_
thing you need to address.

I'd recommend ceasing to go around changing files, and attempt to
validate your stack.  I've given you two starting points.

--
Rick Moen              "Having the right word is much more satisfying than just
rick at linuxmafia.com    sleeping around with any old word that comes along."