[conspire] 1:2.1.29-1+deb10u5? Re: upgrade-in-place to Mailman 2.1.30 and want to test Mailman3?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 19 23:26:52 PDT 2024

I wrote:

> If quality USB + eSATA enclosures for 2.5" drives have become
> unobtainium on the new-retail market over the last 11 years, I will be a
> sad panda.  That would suck.  (Haven't yet looked up the state of those.)

This qualifies:  "Delock model 42544 Multi-Port [eSATA(p), USB 3.1 G2]
External Enclosure for SATA 6Gb/s".
https://www.synchrotech.com/products-storage/delock-42544-series-sata-drive-enclosures-superspeed-usb-3.1-esatap_01.html

  A stylish and sturdy aluminum enclosure by Delock, the 42544 enables
  you to install a 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD or SSD, and provides up to 5
  different options for connecting via its special Multiport USB 3.1 +
  eSATAp interface. The Multiport interface combines eSATA and Super Speed
  USB 10Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen. 2) interfaces, supporting fast data transfers,
  with voltages of up to 5V for bus powered operation. For SATA, which
  doesn't provide bus power, the unit comes with a USB to enclosure power
  cable.

  Features
  Connect via eSATAp, USB or eSATA interfaces
  Supports 2.5" HDD, SSD, and SSHD devices

  [...]

  Connecting Options
  USB 3.1 Gen.2 (Power via USB)
  USB 3.0 (Power via USB)
  USB 2.0 (Power via USB)
  eSATAp (Power Over eSATA combo-connection eSATA+USB - eSATA for data and USB for power
  eSATA (eSATA for data and power via included USB power cable)

  [...]

  Physical Dimensions
  Dimensions: 136 x 80 x 21 mm (LWD)
  HDD height up to 15 mm (LWD)

  Power Requirements
  5V or USB Bus Power (Use both cables when deploying eSATAp or eSATA)

  [...]

  Package Includes
  External enclosure
  USB 3.0-A/A cable
  eSATAp cable
  USB to barrel power cable
  Screws/Screwdriver
  User Guide

I was leery of this until I looked up what an "eSATAp" connector is.  It
really is a clever thing.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp

A pair of them would set me back about $115 (including tax and shipping).

Strictly speaking, the CompuLab's RAIDed pair of external SSDs don't
need enclosures, as long as compatible SATA connector/cables plug into
the drives, and the drives themselves somehow are fed drive power.  (As
mentioned above, SATA cables, or more precisely SATA _data_ cables, do
not transport power, only data.)

A SATA drive's power-in connector is a bespoke 15-pin port that accept
a 3.3V, 5V or 12V DC input socket -- as destinct from the 7-pin data-in
port.  https://www.technewstoday.com/how-to-connect-sata-power-cable/
On the existing Vantec drive cases, I supply power via their USB
sockets, a common solution.  (There are also cheap 4-pin Molex to
SATA-power converter cables.  Which I suppose is great if you have some
random ATX PSU sitting around.)
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-install-sata-hard-drive/