[conspire] Gandi.net is my Jedi, now (was: Customer wants to give your firm money; support won't allow me)

Michael Paoli michael.paoli at berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 13 23:39:03 PDT 2024

On Sat, Jun 8, 2024 at 2:09 AM Michael Paoli <michael.paoli at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I'd like to see their API / web page have option, per domain,
> to enable management via CDS and/or CDNSKEY per RFC 7344, etc.
> Okay, I submitted request:
> Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 08:46:00 +0000
> Subject: [GANDI] Your request 155532 was received - API & Web: feature
> request: DNSSEC: add capability to manage via CDNSKEY/CDS records
> I'm not expecting they'll implement it anywhere close to overnight ...
> but perhaps by the time they roll out their next version of their API
> back-end).  They're currently up to their API version 5.

And yes, submitted, got response, and hopefully will be
implemented - at least at some point in future (see further below).

And compare that to, oh, e.g.
registrar(s) that can't even handle updating glue records:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:registrars#jokercom
Or that struggle mightily with whois data and can't even handle
allowing one to manually renew domain(s)
for a year without setting up autorenew:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:registrars#iwantmynamecom_key-systemsnet
Or that more than a decade on, still can't have an interface that
allows customers to set/update
IPv6 glue records, without having to go through creating support tickets:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:registrars#namecheapcom
etc, etc.

So, yeah, best to pick registrar that doesn't suck.
And if ever things change on that ... yeah, sometimes becomes
time to move, e.g.:
https://www.wiki.balug.org/wiki/doku.php?id=system:registrars#dreamhostcom

Anyway, the response I got from Gandi on my feature request (first
time in about a decade I've had any reason to open a support request
with 'em ... mostly 'cause stuff "just works") ... and as far as I'm aware,
they don't have a separate "feature request" system or the like, at least
that I could easily spot.