[conspire] (forw) Drastic step to deal with DMARC damage (was: What the hey? I am still garrison.hilliard at gmail.com)

Thu Feb 29 16:45:04 PST 2024

Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:43:02 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: Garrison Hilliard <garrison.hilliard at gmail.com>
Cc: skeptic at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Drastic step to deal with DMARC damage (was: What the hey? I am
	still garrison.hilliard at gmail.com)

[You sent your query to the listadmin address,
skeptic-owner at linuxmafia.com .  I am sending this back to you but
adding Skeptic as a CC. ]

Quoting Garrison Hilliard (garrison.hilliard at gmail.com):

> So re-enable my subscription, Rick! Please!

currently enabled.  Perhaps you re-enabled it?

I very strongly suspect this is (more) DMARC collateral damage.  DMARC
and its subsidiary standard DKIM, are very badly designed extensions to
e-mail and to DNS, created by Yahoo, Inc., that are hostile to mailing
lists.  There's a hideous kludge that may (I hope) deal with the
immediate problem, that I may resort to -- temporarily -- for lack of
time.

I've very busy doing many things including analysis of the upcoming
California primary ballot, which means I don't have _time_..  So, I'm
going to enable this option for all mailing lists hosted on
linuxmafia.com.  Right now.

  Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address
  (Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields)

  That setting is called "anonymous list", for short.

I am also removing the flag for all users whose subscriptions have
suddenly been marked undeliverable for too high a "bounce score", which
will re-enable deliver attempts to them.

For the Skeptic list, that means these subscribers, almost all on GMail:

Chris Norloff
alexxychan at gmail.com  (no name stated)
Francisco de Assis Mariano
Ben Avery
benteen at gmail.com (no name stated)
Charles Parsons
GJ Bart
david.quinne at gmail.com (no name stated)
digest.catch at gmail.com
Eleanor Schechter
RDR
Greg Singer
Gernot Metze
James Chappell
Jan-Magnus Okland
Kevin France
mitchwtx at gmail.com (no name stated)
Lucius
Scott D. White
smonsoon at yahoo.com (no name stated)
Michael D. Sofka
Stan Schwarz
Tony Mills
tony godshall
Wade T Smith (two addresses)
Roger Simpson

To be clear, am not _sure_ this is DMARC collateral damage, and the odd
thing is that mass-disabling of GMail addresses has not yet occurred on
any of the other hosted mailing lists, including equally active mailing
lists Conspire and SF-LUG.

But I feel I need to take drastic action on what I _think_ is the cause,
so I'm rolling out the "anonymous list" change.

Again, the key thing is that I really don't have time right now, but,
to see more about the DMARC disaster, and how Yahoo didn't give a damn
about how DMARC/DKIM broke mailing lists, read here:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2024-February/012602.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2024-February/012603.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2024-February/012607.html
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/conspire/2024-February/012611.html