[conspire] (forw) [BALUG-Admin] So, DMARC. A week ago.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Feb 7 21:33:58 PST 2024

An explanation for the layman, that I wrote to a mailing list member.
_Fortunately_, that mailing list member did receive my Conspire posting,
and that member's on GMail, so apparently my domain is escaping being
hit by GMail's new antispam hammer.

---<snip>---

It's all about forgery of other people's (such as my) reputable e-mail
domains by spammers -- and making such forgery detectable, hence
rejectable.

I put the SPF record mentioned in that mail into my linuxmafia.com
domain's DNS to notify the world "If mail purporting to be from
linuxmafia.com didn't arrive from IP address 96.95.217.99 (my server
IP), then it's a forgery, and please reject it."

SPF was/is a simple solution to that problem for domain owners.

DKIM/DMARC are extremely complicated attempts to address that problem
plus some others, and were invented by Yahoo, which screwed it up.

So, I have nothing to do with DKIM, and just reluctantly added a valid
DMARC record to linuxmafia.com's DNS, to make it less likely that GMail
(and Yahoo) will spambox all legit mail from linuxmafia.com, as they
started requiring this junk on Feb. 1st.