[conspire] I fixed my fetchmail problem

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Feb 24 17:26:43 PST 2024

As you all know, my fetchmail stopped working, and while I was trying
to fix it my computer became intermittent, with a RAM test showing a
lot of bad RAM. Then my power cord to power supply connection became
intermittent. Then all sorts of other stuff.

Well, I bought a new ramstick which now serves as my only one, I
replaced the power cord, I replaced the 4 year old coin battery, and
instead of running fetchmail as a daemon I'm running it non-looping, in
foreground, with --daemon 0.

So I had to write a shellscript in which it would run one fetchmail
pass every X seconds, defined in a config file. Hitting it with a USR1
causes it to reload that config file after completing a fetchmail fetch
and its sleep, and hitting it with a USR2 causes it to end after a
complete fetch with sleep.

So I'm back in business, although I need to refine my home-grown
fetchmail loop and add more RAM.

As far as what was causing my fetchmail problems, including seeming SSL
errors, well, I haven't got a clue. Fetchmail running as a daemon is a
black box epoxied in with few test points. I don't like those
situations, so now I don't have one.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21