[conspire] fine if you aren't noticing symptoms: Re: (forw) [BALUG-Admin] Weekly cron job to check on my domains' nameservers

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Sep 9 15:55:06 PDT 2023

Rick Moen said on Sat, 9 Sep 2023 15:08:06 -0700

>Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
>
>> I grew up in Chicago and LA. My experience is that only people from
>> the San Francisco area would ever use the word "elide". You guys are
>> a different breed of cat. :-)
>
>Ah, where is Rick "from"?  As it turns out, Henry Higgins-types
>reliably cannot figure this out, for good reasons:  I'm an ex-airline
>brat who's been to over 100 countries and lived in a bunch of them, so
>I'm "from" a lot of them.
>
>http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/misc.html#accent
>
>  Q: You have a slightly funny accent.  Where are you from?
>  A: Hong Kong by way of Silicon Valley, London, the Welsh countryside,
>     northern Israel, central New Jersey, and Paris.  And you?
>
>http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/misc.html#jersey
>
>  Q: New Jersey?  Oh yeah?  What exit?
>  A: Exit 9 (New Brunswick / East Brunswick), to Route 18 northbound,
>     3/4 mile to US-1 southbound, then 18 miles to exit rightwards onto
>     Washington Road exit, westbound.  Proceed two miles.  Park where
> you can.
>
>Also, I should mention that I, y'know, am literate.  I read stuff.
>Which is a really good way of visiting different places and times,
>which in turn sometimes leaves lingering effects, like non-null
>vocabulary.
>
>I recommend that.  It has its charms.

None of my tons of friends from Hong Kong used "elide". In the 4 months
I trained as a corrosion engineer in Belleville Joysey hanging out in
West Orange and Nutley, there was no eliding. I've had several friends
from London who elided to use "elide". As a Venice Beach skater boy,
Silicon Valley and San Francisco look the same to me. None of my
friends from Israel ever used the word, although I don't know if they
were from Northern Israel. I've known nobody from Paris. I don't know
if I've met somebody from Wales.

I'd like to improve my vocabulary, but I try very hard to keep my
writing to a 7th grade level so it's universally understandable. So I
elide references to "elide", and instead use "leave out".

Now I live in Florida, and all I can say is "Y'all done be usin these
big words ah jus dun unnerstand." Como se dice "elide" in Floridian?

Finally, the Venice guy in me says "Deeeeude, you really went for it
with that word "elide". I've been practicing it, but every time I try I
do a faceplant. I'm tired of eating concrete, so nowadays I leave out
the "elide".

:-)

SteveT