[conspire] (forw) Re: [sf-lug] online!: Re: linuxmafia.com scheduled outage Sunday 2023-09-03 10am-6pm* US/Pacific

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 8 11:58:49 PDT 2023

Behind the scenes:  Hardware migration completed.

I didn't bother sending this (or any other) hosted mailing list a
heads-up because the scheduled downtime wasn't even going to be long
enough for any mail to bounce -- even if the migration effort had to be
aborted and we ended up bringing the old host back online.

Before people ask:  No, the slightly annoying alarm sound _is_ still
sounding on the ancient Pentium III server in my garage, for now.  Why?
Because one never powers down an old server entirely until one is
completely sure one won't need it, because old hard drives that get
powered down may not come up again upon restart (the "head stiction"
problem).

New-ish replacement host box is a tiny Compulab Intense PC with 16GB RAM, a
Celeron CPU, and twin external SSDs in a RAID1 mirrored configuration.
Being fanless, having no hard drives, and being modern-ish, it runs silently
and with extremely low power usage.

Time passes, and I was lazy.  I bought the Compulab and associated parts
for this purpose 10 years ago, in Feb. 2013.

So: no longer a cutting-edge bitty box, _but_, man, so much faster.
Night and day difference in responsiveness.

----- Forwarded message from Michael Paoli <michael.paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> -----