[conspire] A sharp knife is safer than a dull knife.

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon Oct 16 19:46:09 PDT 2023

 Peter Henckels started his knife making business in 1731 making it one of the oldest companies in the world.  They have done some cutting edge, pardon the pun, work in metallurgy developing new alloys and new methods for heat treating with liquid nitrogen.
As for price, for a long time, I too was put off by prices of hundreds of dollars for one knife.  As a result, I was doing most of my chopping and dicing with some cheap serrated steak knives.
But if you look at the website in my earlier email, there are a lot of bargains.  I bought several for under $20.   As for Amazon, I would never accuse them of focusing on best quality merchandise.
Anyway, slicing a ripe tomato with a sharp knife is just so much smoother than a serrated knife that is basically a small saw.
There is a "detail".  No amount of reviews will tell you if the handle will be comfortable in your hand.

    On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 02:35:02 AM PDT, Syeed Ali <syeedali at syeedali.com> wrote:

 On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:26:14 +0000 (UTC)
"paulz at ieee.org" <paulz at ieee.org> wrote:

> Then I found Zwilling / Henckels  has an ebay store:
> https://www.ebay.com/str/zwillingjahenckels I now have 4, 5, and 6
> inch knives.  Razor sharp out of the package.  I’ve used them several
> times and they they are still very sharp.  They’re much more pleasant
> to use than serrated knives.   Looks like it will be a while before I
> need to use the honing steel.

Zwilling is mediocre and doesn't specialize in knives, so you found a
diamond in the rough.

I happen to prefer the most terrible knives ever; a dull
pseudo-serrated knife that I use most frequently to cut vegetables
against my thumb:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0028LXDQ2

After that would come knives thirty times the cost, and I'm just not
there yet in my culinary path in life.