[conspire] I am the very model of a Scary Devil Monastery

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Wed Nov 1 15:11:07 PDT 2023

Serious answer for the bay area: leetcode.

https://leetcode.com/explore/interview/

While it won't help you get to the interview stage, I've only had one interview in the last 15 years that didn't touch on at least a leetcode easy problem in some way. So you won't get past the interview stage without at least moderate knowledge of common easy problems.

Because there is still a relative glut of candidates, that's the reality of weeding out, unfortunately.

Also, if you can brush up your Cobol, you may find that registering with a contract agency could get you in just on that. Even the lowest contract rates I found (quick ziprecruiter search) are likely more than you're making now (though Cobol contracts do not pay well, alas).

Contracts are where they value long-term experience and are sometimes willing to take risks because it's not a long-term commitment. The downside is it's not a long-term commitment.

--
  Deirdre Saoirse Moen
  deirdre at deirdre.net