[conspire] Public hike: Pinnacles National Park, morning, Thu. Mar. 23, 2023

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Wed Mar 22 10:35:26 PDT 2023

 Yes that video is the Pinnacles I remember.   I think Rick's hike will go the reservoir at about 9:00 in the video then go back down.Suggest taking the bypass trail at least one way because it is a different experience.
IMO, park in the bigger lot and take the shuttle to Bear Gulch.  On the return, take the trail back to the parking lot.  It's a gentle downhill slope and should be full of flowers.
Wear comfortable shoes/boots.Take waterTake flashlight.Maybe take a small snackTake water.
    On Wednesday, March 22, 2023 at 12:24:44 AM PDT, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

 Rick Moen said on Tue, 21 Mar 2023 23:28:12 -0700

>Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):
>
>> Codger, huh? Big respect: 3 miles at an average of 3.5% grade. This
>> means there will probably be some 5% grades. And unlike on a bicycle,
>> it's often more difficult and more wear and tear to go *down* a big
>> grade than up.
>
>Here's an excellent video'ed hiking tour of first the entire east side
>(where we'll be) and then on day two the west side:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjJY0TCMkJo

After seeing that, I'll wait 20 years until I'm 75 pounds. I'll bring a
parachute in case I fall off that narrow part of the trail. I think
I'll skip the cave thing: It reminds me of the tunnel scene in Stephen
King's The Stand. Knowing my luck, just like Larry in The Stand, I'll
drop and break my flashlight and have to feel my way through, and all
the ghosts will talk to me. Or maybe the San Andreas will throw an 8.0
and the rock piles forming the caves will fall on me. Or in the caves
I'll be attacked by rabid bats.

I'm too chicken to go, but I have to admit, it's really beautiful.

SteveT

Steve Litt