[conspire] Public hike: Pinnacles National Park, morning, Thu. Mar. 23, 2023

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 28 01:11:51 PDT 2023

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> Yes that video is the Pinnacles I remember.   I think Rick's hike will
> go the reservoir at about 9:00 in the video then go back down.Suggest
> taking the bypass trail at least one way because it is a different
> experience.

That's what I did, exactly.  I went up through the Bear Gulch talus cave
on the way up to just below the reservoir, and then after hanging out at
the reservoir and having a sandwich, returned via the Moses Spring
Trail, off to the side of the cave trail.

> IMO, park in the bigger lot and take the shuttle to Bear Gulch.

FWIW, the shuttle runs only on weekends.  But anyway, I did just park in
the bigger lot and walk to the Bear Gulch trailhead, which is a quite
short and pretty walk alongside the creek.

> Wear comfortable shoes/boots. Take water.  Take flashlight. Maybe take
> a small snack.

I did all that.  It was quite delightful.  FWIW, I didn't find that I
really needed the flashlight, as a talus cave isn't very dark -- because
of light leaking in from above, through gaps in the rocks.  Also, I have
pretty good night vision.  Still, having the flashlight was a reasonable
precaution.