[conspire] (forw) I might need to change registrars?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 7 22:36:54 PST 2023

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> That said, there has been a recent twist over the past 24 hours or so:
> it seems that gandi is in a merger with a rather shifty company.  Some
> folks are pointing out that Gandi is the larger party in the purchase,
> so it's more like they're absorbing the jerks rather than being taken
> over by them, but people are sighing loudly today and wondering who
> could possibly be better than Gandi.

Ugh, indeed.

But, to segue slightly:  In fixing linkrot in one of my archived
articles from _Linux Gazette_, the "Preventing Domain Expiration"
one that includes mention of Jesse Monroy's cron-friendly Perl script
d-check, I re-found a piece by Tucows then-President and CEO Elliot
Noss[1], "Questions to Ask Before You Pick Your Domain Name":

https://web.archive.org/web/20090116021628/http://greatdomainstoday.com/questions-to-ask-before-you-pick-your-domain-name/

It provides a lot of concentrated wisdom about what makes a registrar
good or bad, what are the usual trouble spots, how to distinguish
ICANN-accredited registrars from resellers (like IWantMyName), and so
on.

What I keep seeing in _many_ discussions of registrar selection is that
a few participants have enough breadth and depth of experience to have
informed opinions, and the rest have... opinions.  Not that this differs
from a lot of the rest of IT discussion among compugeeks, nei?

Noss's article is from 2006, but still extremely timely.  Only his
examples are dated.

[1] If you were a new parent surnamed "Noss", would _you_ name your son
Elliot?  It seems a mean thing to do.  The G-man jokes this man must
endure -- endless, I warrant.

--
Cheers,    "I don't know who you think you are, but this is America; leave our
Rick Moen  corporations alone.  They're just a small mom and pop business trying