[conspire] A basic package question

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Jun 19 13:09:01 PDT 2023

Discover is a piece of KDE.

https://userbase.kde.org/Discover

Discover can use snap (I wouldn't) and I remember, but I may be wrong,
there is a kde tool that can install kde pieces coming from other repo
other than the distro ones.

I'd be carefull with these kind of software unless I knew them well.
They may just be wrapper around rpm/apt/... or they may do some fancy
stuff that may mess up your distro.

On 6/19/23 20:40, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> Correction.  Yes Dolphin is the file manager. The package manager in my
> installation is Discover.  Both Dsomething.
>
> Anyway my puzzle is why the GUI manager could not find some things that
> the "apt search" could.   Both methods seem to have different ideas on
> finding other packages that are possibly related in function but with
> different names.
>

> On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 05:49:53 AM PDT, Rick Moen
> <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
>

> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
>  > I'm running Kubuntu   22.04  Package manager says all up to date.
>  > Something I wanted to do suggests running certain utilities.  One is
>  > setserial.  I tried using Dolphin (package manager)  I didn't work.I
>  > looked at the repository for list of packages.  It's there.  apt
>  > install setserial # this worked fine.
>  >
>  > So why didn't Dolphin find it?
>
> Hmm, the "Dolphin" I'm familiar with (well, know the name of) in the
> context of Linux desktop systems is a KDE Plasma desktop file manager,
> not a package manager.
>
> Last I heard, Kubuntu came packaged with a graphical package manager
> called Muon Discover, which is a front-end to the good ol' apt/dpkg
> console package tools.
>
> You can of course (as you did) use apt-level tools (apt, apt-search,
> apt-get, etc.) instead of graphical thingies.  The latter are entirely
> optional, but many folks love them.

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net