[conspire] A basic package question

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon Jun 19 11:40:36 PDT 2023

 Correction.  Yes Dolphin is the file manager. The package manager in my installation is Discover.  Both Dsomething.
Anyway my puzzle is why the GUI manager could not find some things that the "apt search" could.   Both methods seem to have different ideas on finding other packages that are possibly related in function but with different names.

    On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 05:49:53 AM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> I'm running Kubuntu   22.04  Package manager says all up to date.
> Something I wanted to do suggests running certain utilities.  One is
> setserial.  I tried using Dolphin (package manager)  I didn't work.I
> looked at the repository for list of packages.  It's there.  apt
> install setserial # this worked fine.
>
> So why didn't Dolphin find it?

Hmm, the "Dolphin" I'm familiar with (well, know the name of) in the
context of Linux desktop systems is a KDE Plasma desktop file manager,
not a package manager.

Last I heard, Kubuntu came packaged with a graphical package manager
called Muon Discover, which is a front-end to the good ol' apt/dpkg
console package tools.

You can of course (as you did) use apt-level tools (apt, apt-search,
apt-get, etc.) instead of graphical thingies.  The latter are entirely
optional, but many folks love them.