[conspire] A basic package question

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 19 05:47:22 PDT 2023

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> I'm running Kubuntu   22.04  Package manager says all up to date.
> Something I wanted to do suggests running certain utilities.  One is
> setserial.  I tried using Dolphin (package manager)  I didn't work.I
> looked at the repository for list of packages.  It's there.  apt
> install setserial # this worked fine.
>
> So why didn't Dolphin find it?

Hmm, the "Dolphin" I'm familiar with (well, know the name of) in the
context of Linux desktop systems is a KDE Plasma desktop file manager,
not a package manager.

Last I heard, Kubuntu came packaged with a graphical package manager
called Muon Discover, which is a front-end to the good ol' apt/dpkg
console package tools.

You can of course (as you did) use apt-level tools (apt, apt-search,
apt-get, etc.) instead of graphical thingies.  The latter are entirely
optional, but many folks love them.