[conspire] (forw) unexpected computer changes from .docx and ...

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jul 16 17:34:35 PDT 2023

Rick Moen said on Sun, 16 Jul 2023 15:30:13 -0700

>Bruce is a regular & longtime CABAL person, but keeps sending stuff
>offlist:  I don't know why.  This mailing originally included two .ods
>OpenDocument spreadsheets, omitted for this forward.
>
>.docx and its sister so-called Office Open XML (OOXML) formats from
>Microsoft occasion predictable discontent.  OOXML was/is yet another
>Microsoft bait and switch, sort of:  The prior .doc/.xls (etc.) binary
>formats were notoriously terrible and prone to self-corruption, and
>MSFT was under pressure from OpenDocument aka ODF (the _real_ open
>formats) invented by the ex-Sun OpenOffice.org office suite and today
>best represented by LibreOffice.

I'm learning more and more about Plain TeX, and hope someday to specify
a Markdown superset that converts easily to either Plain TeX or HTML,
thereby making a true "write once deploy all formats" authoring format.

The only XML I want in a content format is well formed XML style HTML.

SteveT

Steve Litt