[conspire] (forw) unexpected computer changes from .docx and ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 16 15:30:13 PDT 2023

Bruce is a regular & longtime CABAL person, but keeps sending stuff
offlist:  I don't know why.  This mailing originally included two .ods
OpenDocument spreadsheets, omitted for this forward.

.docx and its sister so-called Office Open XML (OOXML) formats from
Microsoft occasion predictable discontent.  OOXML was/is yet another
Microsoft bait and switch, sort of:  The prior .doc/.xls (etc.) binary
formats were notoriously terrible and prone to self-corruption, and MSFT
was under pressure from OpenDocument aka ODF (the _real_ open formats)
invented by the ex-Sun OpenOffice.org office suite and today best
represented by LibreOffice.

So, MSFT responded between 2000 and 2005 by inventing a
confusingly-similarly named set of office-suite formats (the OOXML
formats) built out of compressed XML -- and implied that it's "open" and
fully documented for public view.  Which it isn't.  A _subset_ of OOXML
is publicly documented in literally thousands of pages, but the full
spec is proprietary and viewable only under NDA, to see the secret
sauce.

Genuine open-source projects like LibreOffice cannot work (well, at
least cannot release) under NDA.  So, they do their best to
reverse-engineer the secret-sauce bits without insider proprietary
knowledge.

Who _can_ pay MSFT to view insider proprietary knowledge under NDA?
Fellow proprietary software firms can.

But, surprise twist!  Ascensio System SIA's Only Office (styled
"ONLYOFFICE" by them, but screw that) turns out to be, indeed, genuine
open source under Affero GPL v. 3.  So, they apparently have some very
talented people working on reverse-engineering OOXML without NDA.  (Or
maybe not?  Hold that thought.)

Ascensio's choice of licence makes commercial sense, in that it protects
them from the "ASP loophole" and other similar ways to game copyleft,
but sadly this means LibreOffice cannot share their code, as LibreOffice
is licensed under MPL v2 and GNU LGPL v3+.

Ascensio System SIA is a Russian firm, albeit lately headquartered in
Riga, Latvia.  I am cautious about code out of the Russian Federation.

_Anyway_, second surprise twist:  I gather the code you install to run
Only Office Desktop is _not_ a stand-alone application:  I gather it
relies on "Software as a Service" operation relying on connection to
Ascensio's servers.  Is the server-end code available as open source?
I'm betting heavily on "nope".  And _that_ would be where they keep
their secret sauce.  Review implies the above.
https://itsfoss.com/review-onlyoffice-desktop-editors-linux/

The Linux version of Only Office Desktop (the client piece) is available
only as Flatpacks, Snaps, or AppImages.

For me, Flatpacks, Snaps, and AppImages are all huge turnoffs, all of
them IMO being efforts to reinvent .exe or Docker badly, and _very_
undesirable instead of a real distro package using distro shared libs.
Distros pushing them including *buntu and Linux Mint are doing a
disservice to their users, and IMO should bite the bullet and maintain
actual packages rather than oursourcing the effort to distro-generic
"snaps" and such.  It's an even worse idea than outsourcing to poorly
policed PPA repos, and that was bad enough.  (Again, *buntu and such.)

And, by the way, that talk about "sandboxing" is nonsense.  There isn't
meaningful security isolation, any more than there is from Docker
containers.

All of this, to me, is nope, nope, nope:  No SaaS, no Russian code, no
Docker-wannabe packaging.  Tusen takk, men nei.  Caveat emptor.

----- Forwarded message from Bruce Coston <jane_ikari at gmx.com> -----