[conspire] (forw) unexpected computer changes from .docx and ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 16 23:33:40 PDT 2023

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> I'm learning more and more about Plain TeX, and hope someday to specify
> a Markdown superset that converts easily to either Plain TeX or HTML,
> thereby making a true "write once deploy all formats" authoring format.

Yes, I'd love to love TeX and its various Implements of Construction
(LaTeX, LyX, etc.), but just haven't.  I'm obviously Bad and Wrong in
this.

I do like Markdown a lot.  And I like JSON when I'm paid to.  ;->

Being a caveman sysadmin, though, I mostly arrange my life so that
almost everything I write/maintain is in plaintext, despite its
notorious deficiencies at being anything other than... plaintext.
And, when pushed, I use hand-hacked Python scripts to generate HTML5.

At least I bent just a bit to grudgingly admit that UTF-8 is A Good
Thing when I started learning norsk Bokmål (instead of being denial and
claiming that "If 7-bit US-ASCII was good enough for Lee Felsenstein,
it's good enough for me").  Because it would be just too tragically
ironic to be unable to type Ålesund, Tromsø, and Bærum.

My not-so-secret shame:  I maintain an almost-ASCII file of
the status of all the streaming programmes I follow -- in _RTF_.  Why?
Because despite MSFT messing with the format occasionally, it's a
least-hassle way, using many tools, to incorporate styling features like
bolding.

--
Cheers,                        My pid is Inigo Montoya.  You kill -9
Rick Moen                      my parent process.  Prepare to vi.
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ!  (4x80)