[conspire] no audio to headphone

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sat Jul 8 14:47:49 PDT 2023

 IT'S WORKING  :-)
With the idea of minimizing the possible damage doing an experiment I decided to just install pavucontrol.  If that didn't work, I could delete it and pulse, but I don't like to delete stuff without good reason.
I installed just pavucontrol  (and not the -qt) variant.
Launch from command line.  I get a GUI that seems self explanatory.  Just test with headphones.  Unplug phones and it auto switched to speaker and displayed that the headphones were unplugged.  Switched back when headphones were plugged in.  Mute button and level slider seemed to work.
Connect to radio.  During configuration, the WSJT-X software displays an assortment of possible devices for audio in and out.  Previously I sometimes had to hack and found a /dev/<something> but it wasn't consistent.  .  Now the right choices are named alsa.input.---- and alsa.output---
Lots of audio output, I had to turn down the level.  Also the audio input level slider seems useful for variations in the radio audio output.
BTW, the headphones have a traditional 3 wire plug:  tip-ring-shell (TRS). Long ago 1/4" was standard for headphones.  This being 2023, its the 3.5mm plug.
But when I really get the radio connected its a 4 wire plug  tip-ring1-ring2-shell (TRRS)  Somehow the connections just worked.

    On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 08:12:15 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 I wrote:

> Nonetheless, it's claimed that Pavucontrol ("sudo apt install
> pavucontrol-qt") is the gold standard for making Pulse Audio manageable.

Noted in a reader comment on that page:

  Just to note pavucontrol-qt doesn’t allow turning off of devices on
  the configuration panel.  If you want that option you need to use
  pavucontrol.  At least this is the case on Kubuntu 21.04

So, maybe install both package pavucontrol-qt and package pavucontrol ?

I really wouldn't know, because I really don't do KDE.