[conspire] no audio to headphone

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Jul 7 00:21:10 PDT 2023

Rick Moen said on Thu, 6 Jul 2023 19:59:40 -0700

>Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
>> An actual technical Linux problem.  I'm running Kubuntu 22.04.2  LTS
>> everything updated.  I want to use audio out on the headphone jack to
>> some electronics and wasn't getting any output.
>
>Ooh, sound problems.  I _hate_ sound problems.
>
>Kubuntu for a long time has used Pulse Audio, the Lennart Poettering
>all-singing, all-dancing sound solution for Linux.  It does not, to the
>best of my understanding, use ALSA.

I call Pulseaudio the land of a thousand mutes.

I haven't used Ubuntu for a decade, but on most distros you can get rid
of Pulseaudio, install ALSA, and use alsamixer to control device
volumes.

I think you can install apulse without installing Pulseaudio. apulse
gives Pulseaudio compatibility to many, but not all programs, just by
preceding the command with "apulse ".

SteveT

Steve Litt