[conspire] no audio to headphone

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 7 01:10:07 PDT 2023

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> I call Pulseaudio the land of a thousand mutes.
>
> I haven't used Ubuntu for a decade, but on most distros you can get rid
> of Pulseaudio, install ALSA, and use alsamixer to control device
> volumes.
>
> I think you can install apulse without installing Pulseaudio. apulse
> gives Pulseaudio compatibility to many, but not all programs, just by
> preceding the command with "apulse ".

I'm no fan of Pulse Audio (or the various other Poetteringware pieces),
but want to caution Paul Zander that trying to rip out or set aside
Pulse Audio on the Pulse Audio-oriented Kubuntu distribution, and shim
in ALSA (with or without apulse) to take its (Pulse Audio's) place would
be radical system-architecture surgery, and IMO should not be attempted
lightly.

Please be careful to caution people, especially those who are not expert
user, if giving them radical-changes advice.