[conspire] Installing Linux on Elise Scher's Chromebook

Syeed Ali syeedali at syeedali.com
Sat Jul 8 12:57:29 PDT 2023

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 02:05:53 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> *buntu is great for beginners and for oddball hardware, but as
> the Linux user gets more experienced with commands and shellscripts,
> *buntu's training wheels get in the way.

I think this is our foundational... something.  It's not a disagreement,
but I was coming from a different place.

My argument was the "container for applications", where the user
wouldn't even be a "Linux user" and wouldn't therefore necessarily get
experienced.

I do see your points, and I think what ends up happening to the
non-vigilant (non-hobbyist) user is the underlying container changes
"suddenly" (from their perspective) and their workflow breaks.

This happened to me with Firefox, twice, when they decided to have a
great leap forward and abandon support for earlier addons.

I do see your point about customization, and certainly we have examples
of user customization being broken by so-called "updates".  That would
definitely hit an almost-hobbyist user.

I don't have an example, but I wonder if a whole container-OS could do
the same.  That might have been the 32 versus 64 bit leap, but I doubt
it.  We can, of course, see this happening repeatedly across major
operating systems or platforms, and not just with Windows.