[conspire] Installing Linux on Elise Scher's Chromebook

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jul 8 02:22:09 PDT 2023

Quoting Syeed Ali (syeedali at syeedali.com):

> Why would an everyday user care?

An everyday user wouldn't even _know_.

An everyday user wouldn't know why LXDE development keeps being more of
a backwater, and may not even be aware when, gradually, basically
nothing is happening and everything is a bit dusty.   It'll all be just
a weird mystery.  The everyday guy will probably assume everything is
like that in the Linux world.  Everyday users tend to just plod along,
pushed about by forces they aren't even aware of.

> To me, the desktop environment is just a container within which are the
> applications I care about.

And, y'know something, I'm still a bit annoyed about the Balsa
lightweight X11-based mail client.  It was great!  Nice balance of
features, fast, attractive.  It even used "mutt" core libraries as its
central engine, which was a brilliant idea.

Why is it effectively impossible to install, and totally orphaned, in
2023?  I don't understand!

Oh, wait, I do.  It was a phenomenally nice program, but doomed because
it was written for gtk 1.x.  Which the GNOME people orphaned, killing it
and _many_ other fine programs.  Which is why Balsa's been dead for
about a decade, and hopelessly so.

But you basically said an everyday user wouldn't care about gtk 1.x
getting orphaned.  The everyday user would bang the table in frustration
and say "Dammit, I want Balsa back", and not comprehend why this isn't
happening.  There Is No Justice (TANJ)!

"Hi, I'm an everyday user who just wants the applications he cares
about, and doesn't care about graphics toolkits and GNOME developers'
Cascade of Attention Deficit Teenagers (CADT) development habits.
I'm going to bang the table, and, if that doesn't work, bang it harder!"

Hey, could work.  Give it a try, and see.