[conspire] Installing Linux on Elise Scher's Chromebook

Syeed Ali syeedali at syeedali.com
Sat Jul 8 13:16:31 PDT 2023

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 02:22:09 -0700

> > To me, the desktop environment is just a container within which are
> > the applications I care about.
>
> And, y'know something, I'm still a bit annoyed about the Balsa
> lightweight X11-based mail client.  It was great!  Nice balance of
> features, fast, attractive.  It even used "mutt" core libraries as its
> central engine, which was a brilliant idea.

I think we're on the same page here.  I had a GTK 2 app I liked and paid
someone to support.

If non-hobbyist users are the silent majority, then I suppose things
get changed as much as the decision makers can get away with.  The
broader changes with more breakage then get done when there isn't
enough pushback because the users are silent or too niche to have a
voice.

I think the complexity of Linux and everything within and around it has
increased so much that "just fork it" has become ever more obviously a
failed argument, and now whole chains of dependent projects and entire
distributions have to be forked to some degree or other.  (Cinnamon
was a fork that became a project, but what do we call a Devuan-esque
endeavor?)