[conspire] Installing Linux on Elise Scher's Chromebook

Syeed Ali syeedali at syeedali.com
Sat Jul 8 13:07:30 PDT 2023

On Sat, 8 Jul 2023 02:46:01 -0700
Elise Scher <elise.scher01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Husband Robert says he has thumb drives.
>
> Now I would need to pick a distro and download it to a thumb drive.
> But I can’t do that on my old MacBook Air, which is the computer I
> use the most. Well actually I use my old and cheapest you could buy
> new iPhone the most.

Your random laptops would be best..

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro which runs several Linux distributions
extremely well.  My daily driver is Lubuntu (I have to select its
alternate bootup mode in its menu).  I have tried and can recommend
Mint as well.

Bear in mind that if you test a live distribution that it might be very
slow to boot up on an old USB 2.0 thumb drive.  Be patient, because
once it's booted up it will run nicely and be a reasonable preview.

Don't do an installation to your Macbook.