[conspire] no audio to headphone

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 6 19:59:40 PDT 2023

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> An actual technical Linux problem.  I'm running Kubuntu 22.04.2  LTS
> everything updated.  I want to use audio out on the headphone jack to
> some electronics and wasn't getting any output.

Ooh, sound problems.  I _hate_ sound problems.

Kubuntu for a long time has used Pulse Audio, the Lennart Poettering
all-singing, all-dancing sound solution for Linux.  It does not, to the
best of my understanding, use ALSA.

In reading up about Kubuntu sound problems, seems like a lot of people
end up shooting Pulse Audio in the foot by installing or uninstalling
things, like this guy:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1464875/audio-settings-not-visible-in-kubuntu-disappeared-cant-listen-speak

Nonetheless, it's claimed that Pavucontrol ("sudo apt install
pavucontrol-qt") is the gold standard for making Pulse Audio manageable.

   Pavucontrol allows for excellent control over the output of audio
   devices. To manage them, open up the Pavucontrol app and find “Output
   devices.”

  In “Output devices,” you’ll see a list of all sound playback devices on
  your Linux PC. Scan through the list of playback devices and find the
  one you want to modify. Then, use the slider to adjust its volume.

  Want to make a new playback device the default? Click the icon to the
  right of the lock button.

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/manage-audio-devices-on-linux-pavucontrol/

> BTW, I also tried launching alsa from the command line, but the result
> was a GUI that didn't do anything.  I think alsa might have been
> replaced in recent Ubuntu, but searching online mostly brought up old
> advice or information that didn't seem to apply to my problem.

Yes, be _very_ careful about following online advice that used to apply,
but may now be useless or actively harmful.