[conspire] no audio to headphone

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Thu Jul 6 10:40:52 PDT 2023

An actual technical Linux problem.  I'm running Kubuntu 22.04.2  LTS  everything updated.
I want to use audio out on the headphone jack to some electronics and wasn't getting any output.
Eventually I tried real headphones.
Using the application launcher, I could not find an app for sound management, but typing "sound" in the search window brought up a screen labeled Audio-System Settings.
On the tab labeled "Playback Devices"
There was a Test button
Port selection of Speakers or Headphones.

Profile selection of:    * Analog Stereo Input
    * Analog Stereo Output    * Analog Stereo Duplex    * Off
With Speakers selected,  I could go between Analog Stereo Output and Off with the expected results.With Headphones, switching between Stereo Output and Off, sometimes left the headphones with no sound.   Then I could go to speakers. They had sound. Back to headphones, and no sound
The only "fix" for the headphones seemed to be to unplug them and reinsert.
 I suppose that for a lot of situations auto selecting headphones when they are plugged in is a convenience.  For intended usage it is a bother.  It might even be thay my device isn't recognized as headphone plugged in.
BTW, I also tried launching alsa from the command line, but the result was a GUI that didn't do anything.  I think alsa might have been replaced in recent Ubuntu, but searching online mostly brought up old advice or information that didn't seem to apply to my problem.