[conspire] On HP printers

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Wed Dec 27 02:53:23 PST 2023

Syeed Ali wrote on 2023-12-26 06:22:

> He started off as a Linux purist personally and for his business,
> but was slowly forced into Windows from time constraints (Linux
> taking hobby-time to wield effectively).

I remember him starting with electronics repair videos, specifically
running an electronics repair shop mostly working on Apple devices.

This lead to some Right To Repair advocacy.

Then there was a period of the frustration of trying to rent a new
location in NYC.

Next he became recognizable off-line for Right To Repair,
helping to get legislation enacted in various jurisdictions.

Then he moved to Texas and continues his "tirade" against NYC
bureaucracy. (I don't mean to use tirade with negative connotation - I
have no opinion on the matter, and can't think of a better word right now.)

He's taken swings at Amazon too, for anti-consumer practices.

Weirdly, he's recently part of a group that's released an app for
viewing your favourite content creators across various media platforms.
Ad free (but you have to pay for the app).

Which is kinda getting close to enabling piracy it seemed (assuming I
recall correctly and the commentary I read about it is true).

While his opinions on YouTube et al have merit, this one is quite odd
and I'm not sure how or why he became involved in it.

>> I hope he's anti-systemd so he can do a video on that.
>
> I haven't seen him give a take on systemd, but I can guess at a
> response equivalent to the right to repair.

I have no insight into his thoughts, but he does use / has used Linux,
and like 99.999% of people, systemd is either no problem or beneficial.

All the sturm und drang from back when it first came out sure feels now
to be overblown and the axes have been ground to a fine dust.

I'm still waiting for someone to address the fact that *all* the major
distro producers were looking for a new system to manage init,
dependencies, and service life-cycle.

That's Canonical, RedHat, and SUSE.  All went with Upstart then settled
on systemd as superior.  All major OSs have some sort of service life
cycle management, except BSD.

Perhaps Louis could share his thoughts - I'd listen to them and evaluate
them.  But, it's a non-issue.

Again, Benno Rice, FreeBSD contributor and author on BSD topic(s) says
it better than me in his video, "The Tragedy of systemd":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

rb