[conspire] On HP printers

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 11 18:34:58 PST 2023

Syeed Ali said on Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:02:58 -0800

>how printers have gone downhill and Brother is the only less-crap
>printer company of significance these days.

Be aware that Brother's printer drivers are installable only via the
redhat and the debian package managers. So for my Brother 3 in 1, I
need to print with inferior drivers not letting me access all the
printer's features and capabilities, and for scanning I must plug in a
thumb drive to the Brother, scan to the thumb drive, sneaker mail the
thumb drive to my printer, mount the thumb drive, copy the files I just
made, and give them descriptive names. It takes 5 to 10 times what it
would with a working software interface to the scanner.

Nevertheless, after seeing that HP revelation video, if the choice is
HP or Brother, I'll go Brother every time.

By the way, how long will it be until the HP printer firmware will
block Linux use without systemd installed? I'm sure lennart, redhat and
IBM are working on that right now.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21