[conspire] on Louis Rossmann & Grayjay

Syeed Ali syeedali at syeedali.com
Fri Dec 29 01:29:50 PST 2023

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:06:41 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Syeed, I was just talking to my daughter yesterday about creating a
> youtube channel, so the preceding is interesting. Could you please
> post some citations supporting the assertion that creators haven't
> been able to make a significant amount from ad rolls in a very long
> time. Are there exceptions?

Ron goes into reasonable detail.  There have been several waves of
what people have called an "adpocalypse" which has impacted revenue.

I'll ramble a bit..

Every creator of significance has worked to diversify income, knowing
that many, many, creators have been oppressed (or banned!) for ignorant,
stupid, or hypothesized-ideological reasons.

Because of the erratic nature of YouTube income, and the fear of having
videos demonetized or copyright claimed, creators accept patronage and
sponsorships that are included within their video as a way of
guaranteeing income.

Here's an example scenario:

You release a monetized video.  In your video you include your own
music.  You literally made it and own it.  Moments after it goes up it's
immediately claimed by Acme Scammers Inc.

You don't notice the claim, because you are working on other things.
Days pass before you notice and challenge it.  (Some people have
said they are sometimes not even  notified!)  Because you have 1.5M
subscribers you are supposed to have an actual contact to get help, but
they tell you to use the existing system.  It stone-walls and requires
you provide personal details to Acme Scammers Inc. that would dox you.
While you are required to give your details, theirs is suspect or a
rabbit hole of shell companies.

During that time, the money on the video goes to those other people.
Maybe the video is manually reviewed and it returns to your control,
but that monetized money evaporated.  Videos make the vast majority of
revenue within the first 24 hours.

Creators are mirroring to other platforms, knowing that YouTube is a
special kind of awful.

I once uploaded a video as a test, with text inline citing sources for
public domain content, including music.  That music got copyright
claimed.

One guy got a strike on his channel.  He has over a million
subscribers.  It was manually reviewed, but the "human" just read at
the transcript and upheld the strike and the video was removed.
As I recall it's three strikes then a ban.  The speech-to-text that made
that transcript got it wrong; he has a lisp.  It was just a video on
TCP/IP.