[conspire] Mailing list software: mailman2 vs mailman3

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Mon Dec 11 01:45:15 PST 2023

I'm curious on opinions of GNU mailman2 vs mailman3.

I'm running mailman2 right now.

mailman2
--------

Pros:
* it works
* lots of options (too many? I don't understand all of them)
* upon signing up, one receives a password to the web interface

Cons:
* requires Python v2 - deprecated years ago
* slightly clunky interface from 1990s
* ?

mailman3
--------

Pros:
* nice, modern web interface
* runs on Python v3

Cons:
* missing some options of mailman2 (which ones, who knows?)
* requires separate account for web interface (is this really different
from mailman2?)
* requires conversion of lists from mailman2 format (not too hard, it seems)
* seems to have a tangle of different components: hyperkitty, Postorius,
Django, etc.

When I upgrade the mailing list server in the near future, I'd prefer
not to have Python2 on there, since it's no longer included by default
and it's "done" - zero patches in the future.

Anyone with experience have any thoughts, they'd be welcome.