[conspire] More messing around with NAS hardware

Dana Goyette danagoyette at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 00:12:00 PDT 2021

One mod I keep wanting to do, but never get around to:
https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/complete-definition-server.256476/

I have that same case (Fractal Define Mini, not to be confused with
the Mini C), and I currently have a Supermicro drive bay thingy in one
of the 5.25 bays to give me four 2.5" hot-swap bays (with per-drive
activity LEDs)
I also have one of the 5-in-3 things (also Supermicro) that I'd
intended to install, but it's just sitting in my closet.
If I ever do finally get around to doing that mod, the thing will end
up stupendously heavy.

As far as motherboards go, I went with an X570D4U-2L2T, but if I'd
known all the trouble I was going to have with it*, I would've
probably gone with a Xeon D instead.

* Trouble: motherboard doesn't offer s3 suspend, the IPMI has a SOL
port that's hooked to a UART, but not hooked up to the BIOS, one AMD
CPU from Newegg got banged around and messed up, a second AMD CPU from
Newegg got stolen from the box by UPS...