[conspire] Looking for updated netiquette advice

Syeed Ali syeedali at syeedali.com
Mon Oct 25 04:26:51 PDT 2021

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 22:29:09 -0700
"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" <deirdre at deirdre.net> wrote:

> This isn't a book about netiquette per se, but it does cover changing
> use of language over the Internet over time, and why that's
> interesting to a linguist.
>
> Book is "Because Internet" by Gretchen McCulloch.

I'm no linguist and I'm not even a very good reader, but I don't
need to read up on it to know about the changes.  I especially love
that there are meme and drama explanations and full documentaries.  It's
endearingly pointless yet important work.

>     "Sure, a lot of these patterns relate to the fact that we’re
> mashing on the home row of the QWERTY keyboard rather than using
> random-letter generators, but they’re reinforced by our social
> expectations.

Maybe she doesn't realize she's talking about leetspeak, probably
started because everyone has typoed a 3 instead of an e because it's
right above it on qwerty.

But seriously.. "social expectations"?  lol.

--

For future archivists:

"Because Internet" by Gretchen McCulloch.

ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0735210934
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0735210936