[conspire] Looking for updated netiquette advice

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sat Oct 23 22:29:09 PDT 2021

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021, at 9:05 PM, Syeed Ali wrote:
> Now that I'm kind of around on a few mailing lists, I'd like a refresher
> on netiquette.

This isn't a book about netiquette per se, but it does cover changing use of language over the Internet over time, and why that's interesting to a linguist.

Book is "Because Internet" by Gretchen McCulloch.

Excerpt about keysmashes:

    "Sure, a lot of these patterns relate to the fact that we’re mashing on the home row of the QWERTY keyboard rather than using random-letter generators, but they’re reinforced by our social expectations. I conducted an informal survey, asking if people retype their keysmash if it doesn’t look, er, smashing enough. While there were a few keysmash purists, who posted whatever came out, I found that the majority of people will delete and remash if they don’t like what it looks like, plus a significant minority who will adjust a few letters. I also heard from several people who use the Dvorak keyboard, where the home row begins with vowels rather than ASDF, who reported that they just don’t bother keysmashing anymore at all because their layout makes it socially illegible. Keysmashing may be shifting, though: I’ve noticed a second kind, which looks more like “gbghvjfbfghchc” than “asafjlskfjlskf,” from thumbs mashing against the middle of a smartphone keyboard."

Deirdre