[conspire] Something hilarious happened in Internet Security???

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sun Jan 17 14:40:03 PST 2021

Thank you, Deirdre, for the link to Trump’s speech. The traditional newsonly had a few sentences. In a time of intense emotions, maybe thatwas for the best.

I had checked thenews that morning. The GA election was settled. The approval of theElectoral College was going to take a while, so I did other thingsuntil late afternoon, at which time the Capitol Building was totalanarchy.

Since then I havebeen contrasting the pictures on the television with my memories of atrip in 199?. The first morning, the family wanted to see the WhiteHouse. We should have contacted our Representative to get ticketsbefore hand. With a little effort we were able to get tickets forthat afternoon. Next day, among other places, we toured the CapitolBuilding. The only “security” I recall was not being allowed totake pictures inside the Senate Chamber.

The last day was aSaturday. I was told that parking would be available so I drove intoDC instead of taking the Metro. Almost immediately I  after getting near the Mall, I found a place. When I got out of the car, Icouldn’t believe where I was. I looked all around carefullyexpecting to see a No Parking sign. I was parked on the curved roadleading directly to the east entrance of the Capitol Building! Wewalked the other direction and spent the day in various SmithsonianMuseums.

It is now obviousthat the Senate won’t take up the impeachment right away, so there is time to prepare the case for theprosecution. It needs to address both the legal process as well asthe court of public opinion.

I hope that in 4years, it will be safe, in multiple meanings, to return to DC andstand with a million other people for the next Inauguration.

    On Sunday, January 17, 2021, 10:40:41 AM PST, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Dire Red (deirdre at deirdre.net):

> Ahh, I meant to also link this excellent piece, which is an analysis
> of Trump's speech right before the riot.
>
> https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1347908845281095680.html
>
> See particularly around tweet 31, and around 170.
>
> He goes into a rather fascinating tactic of Trump's saying things as
> A->X->B, and most of us would hear X as a de-escalation or tangent and
> B as a non-sequitur of X. But what his target audience hears is that B
> follows from A.
>
> I think Seth argues quite well that the riot was, in fact, Trump's
> idea, and that understanding from the insurrectionist was common among
> those who were there.

Concur.  I would be interested, also, in an analysis by historians who
studied the rhetorical forms used in the 1923-38 Nuremberg Rallies
("Reichsparteitag" = national party days), to compare and contrast the
methods of persuasion.  Fewer uniforms and precision marching, to be
sure, and about an order of magnitude fewer warm bodies, but about as
much shouting and malign propaganda.

What a pity Leni Riefenstahl died.  She could have done another
documentary film.  Triumph of the Billy-Bobs, or something like that.

I'm adding that link to the 'quislings' collection of links on the front
page of linuxmafia.com, for future reference.

--
Cheers,  This limerick goes in reverse. If you start from the bottom-most verse
Rick Moen Unless I’m remiss,            This limerick’s not any worse.