[conspire] Something hilarious happened in Internet Security???

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sun Jan 17 14:49:32 PST 2021

> On Jan 17, 2021, at 14:40, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> Since then I have been contrasting the pictures on the television with my memories of a trip in 199?. The first morning, the family wanted to see the White House. We should have contacted our Representative to get tickets before hand. With a little effort we were able to get tickets for that afternoon. Next day, among other places, we toured the Capitol Building. The only “security” I recall was not being allowed to take pictures inside the Senate Chamber.

I’ve been contrasting them with a trip I took in 1998 whle working on a project for my employer (then a backbone ISP). It was in July, and one of my coworkers said that the only *real* July 4 experience in DC was visiting the “smokeout” zone.

Which…had excellent Rastafarian music and a contact high that went along with. Fireflies in the night. I remember lying there on a blanket, enjoying the music and fireworks.

The event is called the Smoke-In, and it has been annual:

https://mashable.com/2016/04/19/1970-smoke-in/ <https://mashable.com/2016/04/19/1970-smoke-in/>

So yeah, rather a different experience than this month for sure.

Deirdre